Modern diesel exhaust systems are complex given how advanced the technology is and that they include multiple sub systems. Such complex systems are bound to require repairs, but family-owned automotive aftermarket company Old World Industries, the manufacture of leading brands such as BlueDEF® and PEAK®, is sharing several insights to ensure your diesel exhaust system runs smoothly to avoid insanely expensive repairs.
Jay Gagnon, the Senior Product Manager for BlueDEF at Old World Industries, recommends that all diesel engine owners perform the following maintenance checks to minimize the risk:
- Don’t skip preventive maintenance or ignore small problems in any of the vehicle’s sub systems. Small problems can lead to expensive repairs.
- Regular DPF maintenance. Regeneration only oxidizes particulates; it does not remove ash. Follow the manufactures maintenance schedule for DPF cleaning to prevent DPF clogging and failure.
- Prevent contamination of the DEF system by keeping tank filling ports and tank caps clean.
- Store DEF in dedicated containers. Purity is critical as DEF is very sensitive to contaminates. Don’t re-use other fluid containers to store DEF.
- Change DEF filters regularly according to the manufacturer’s maintenance schedule.
- Don’t run the DEF tank empty. The engine will de-rate and eventually shut down if you run out of DEF.
- Keep the DEF tank full. Top it off at the end of the day to prevent condensation from forming which could lead to contamination.
- Use BlueDEF PLATINUM™ with ADVANCED SYSTEM SHIELD™ TECHNOLOGY to prevent SCR system deposits from forming.
Why Invest in a Premium Diesel Exhaust Fluid?
Knowing that nearly every diesel-powered vehicle built since 2010 (including modified engines with high horsepower and torque) is equipped with Selective Catalytic Reduction (SCR), it also means they require Diesel Exhaust Fluid (DEF) to function.
Since the inception of SCR, there have been issues with deposit build-up, especially with low quality DEF. Low speed operation, extended idling, short trips, and stop and go driving can prevent the SCR system from reaching and maintaining optimal temperatures which can result in deposit buildup.
This deposit buildup can choke off the exhaust system causing a reduction of power and economy. Once this buildup accumulates, it can require time consuming dis-assembly, mechanical cleaning, or component replacement to make the system functional again. Even worse, the engine can de-rate to a crawl or completely shut down until repairs are made, leaving the vehicle dead on the road.
Since these deposits cannot be removed and can lead to costly repairs, using a premium DEF like BlueDEF PLATINUM is key.
For those unfamiliar with the latest innovation from Old World Industries, BlueDEF PLATINUM is a mixture of high purity synthetic urea, deionized water, and a proprietary formulation.
The formulation features Advanced System Shield technology, which with regular use, significantly reduces harmful deposits that commonly build up in modern diesel exhaust systems with SCR. Reducing harmful deposits not only provides optimum fuel economy, but ultimately sustains the life of the system. Without the SCR system that requires DEF and other related systems, diesel vehicles would run far less efficiently at a much higher cost.
With today’s advanced systems, there’s been a 90% decrease in diesel exhaust emissions since the 90’s – another key and major benefit to using BlueDEF PLATINUM. DEF is used to help break down toxic Nitrous Oxide emissions by converting them to water and nitrogen, while the fluid itself is nontoxic. In fact, DEF is classified as an organic compound, and is carefully regulated by the American Petroleum Institute.
BlueDEF PLATINUM is manufactured under ISO 22241 guidelines to ensure the highest product quality and is API registered, meeting or exceeding OEM specifications for diesel exhaust fluid. To learn more about Old World Industries latest innovation, visit www.BlueDEFPlatinum.com.